Monday, March 5, 2012

Photographer Likes Bland Subject Matter

...and poor lighting.



Ok...now we're cookin'.  It's all happening so fast.  Last night I got woken  up 2 or 3 times by someone saying something outside the van.  I'd been sleeping well each time, so I didn't catch what they said.

Anyhoo (as Candy used to say)...I mentioned something before about people wearing black and white who are part of this whole thing.  I've seen mention of it else where on the web.  Very often it's exactly what this apparently novice photographer is wearing--black with 3 white  stripes.  Hmmmm...referees wear black and white...Charlie Crites made a comment about "only the umpires knowing all the rules"... a fella who liked to "suggest" things to me like "moving to L.A." in the library when I was still wrapped tight in the mind-control wore the same jacket.   

I'll break here to make an important point which I believe I've so far neglected.  My research indicates that part of this "game" is to make the person be constantly on the move from city to city or state to state.  Someone whispered to me the other day that it's "worldwide."  My brother bought me an odd gift for what was probably the last Christmas we spent together.  It was a little Coca-Cola portable refrigerator a lot like the one shown here.  This would have been 2005 or 2006, so it was a different design.  It had a retro look to it and it actually had a big Coke logo on it.  It's maybe 2 feet high and you can plug it into the cigarette lighter in your car.  When I opened it, I thought it was an odd gift, but again, had no idea what was going on at the time and, like so many others, blew off his strange comment:  "You're gonna need it."

About 20 minutes ago I walked up to my van.  On the baseball field there was what looked like a small softball team practicing.  It was one team and there was no one playing the field, so it wasn't a scrimmage.  They appeared to be doing drills between 3rd base and home-plate.  None of them were wearing uniforms--all just mismatched sweat pants and t-shirts and sweaters.  Despite terribly bland subject-matter that I could never imagine would attract a serious photographer, topped off by terrible lighting as is evident in the video, outside the fence about 4 or 5 vehicles ahead of my van was the individual shown above shooting the photographically worthless scene with a telephoto lens.  Part of what I've been through makes it so you can recognize when someone is acting.  She was kind of moving her camera back and fourth from left to right with a level of urgency that simply did not correspond with the scene on the field.  Also, if she was just doing a photography exercise, why not go down on the field and ask if she could take a few shots?  I've done it at a coffee shop and I couldn't imagine a female sports team in San Francisco turning down such a harmless, simple request by an aspiring female photog.  She was just practicing telephoto shooting through a fence?  So, I did what I needed to do and walked back toward Van Ness.  I made it all the way to the corner before I drifted to my right, crossed in front of a tall utility pole toward the fence and turned around quickly.  The young photographer above had her camera trained directly on me before she quickly changed direction, pointing it up at the park on the other side of the street to her left.  I felt compelled to head back and get a little video.

By the way, the shot she would have been going for would have been a relatively far one, so I'd say she must have had a 300m lens at least.

;-))

I should add that their goal was probably to bait me into talking to her.  Wayyyyy past that one, kids.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment